Sunday, November 6th, 2016 Team Time Trial
Start/Finish at the Lazy L & L on River Road | 30 minutes north of San Antonio, and 45 minutes south of Austin | 26.4 Miles
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. IF YOU ARE A PARTICIPANT CLICK ON THE "AFTER YOU REGISTERED" LINK FOR PACKET PICKUP AND OTHER INSTRUCTIONS.
YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THE TOUR DE GRUENE ROLL OUT PARTY THIS WEDNESDAY, NOV 2ND FROM 4 TO 9 AT BIKE WORLD 1604 IN SAN ANTONIO. FUN TIMES AND A HUGE STOREWIDE SALE FOR ALL TDG PARTICIPANTS WITH PACKETS IN HAND.
Tour de Gruene 2016 will be hosted once again at the scenic Lazy L & L property on beautiful River Road. Surrounded by limestone cliffs and encircled by the Guadalupe River it’s hard to imagine a more scenic location than this property. It is a time to enjoy the camaraderie alongside fellow cyclists who share your love of cycling the magnificent central Texas countryside.
Team Time Trials are a competition but no racing license is required. Two person teams begin 30 seconds from the next team and then race 26.4 miles against the clock for awards in various gender, equipment, age, and ability divisions. We also have tandem and co-ed divisions! Teams will be seed started according to their predicted average mph for the course. Last year’s winner(s) and any course record holders are given the honor of being seeded last.
Our Post Ride Celebration will include a catered lunch awards ceremony under the spacious and modern pavilion at the Lazy L & L. Horseshoes, washers and sand volleyball courts surround the pavilion. Like to camp or RV? Reserve a site through L & L and gather with other cyclists along the river for the weekend.
Also included in your entry is a ticket into Wurstfest – a local German festival with good food and the finest in Alpine and Bavarian style entertainment. And of course our classic, quality t-shirts featuring a graphic as redesigned by Roger Christian and Company rc-co for our event.
We look forward to seeing everyione in November for a spectacular race and fun gathering. The Sally M. Kingsbury Sarcoma Research Foundation of New Braunfels is our chosen charity as well as a few local church and school groups.
http://rxdesign.zenfolio.com/tdg to view pictures from previous Tour de Gruene years
Join our Social Media to receive event updates:
What does a Team Time Trial look like?
The 2016 Team Time Trial Route is 26.4 miles in length.
- Start is located at Lazy L & L on River Road.
- Route goes south on River Road and all right hand turns
- Route has 1490 feet of climbing
- Finish is about half a mile from the start. (map link)
Who can race
- No racing license required to race
- Open to 250 teams only - may not race on two teams
Divisions are Formed After Registration Closes
- Four components to each division:
- Gender (Men, Women, Co-Ed or Tandem)
- Equipment (Aero or Merckx)
- Combined Age Total of both racers
Race Together!! This is a TEAM Time Trial
- Five minutes prior to appointed start time is customary to line-up
- Team’s official time begins at the appointed start time, whether they are present to start or not
Late starts are coordinated in the “Late Start Lane” located on ground level beside the start ramps
- Arriving late may mean waiting until the team currently on the ramp has been started by the official
- No matter how late, an official MUST start each team
- Separation from your teammate during race is counter-productive
- Finish with your teammate, regardless of the physical or mechanical condition that slows them down.
- Leaving your partner behind, unless they are withdrawing, is frowned upon.
- Time is recorded from team’s appointed start time, to the leading edge of the front wheel of the 2nd member to cross the finish line
- If a partner finishes SOLO it is their responsibility to inform the finish line official immediately after finishing, of their partner’s dilemna
Tour de Gruene awards are presented to top times in each division.
- Quantity of prizes is dependent upon total entries per division.
- Typically 3 places per division
- Typically over 40 divisions in the TTT
Each racer receives:
- Supported race (police at intersections)
- Free parking in venue area
- Collector shirt in size ordered
- Admission Ticket into Wurstfest
- Awards dinner catered by Lazy L & L
- 1 shower token (6 min) upon request @ packet pickup from the poster sales table
- REGISTRATION HAS CLOSED FOR 2016. EDITS ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTED.
- You can edit partner info (except shirt size and meal choice) anytime before reg closes out. See the section on How to edit my team info in the FAQ section
- look over the information on the pdf document
- Captain - fill in the sections on your partner so you will
- have it ready to go when you begin your online reg
- Time limit of 15 minutes to complete online process (or you have to start over)
Merckx or Aero Equipment Racing Division?
either racer displays any one of the following:
- aero helmet, aero bars, skinsuit, shoe covers, disc wheels,
- or rims deeper than 30mm
- either racer displays any one of the following:
- no aero helmet, aero bars, or skinsuit
- no shoe covers unless it is below 50 degrees
- rim depth less than or = to 30mm
- Foil, Venge, Madone, F8,S5,SL,CF,TMR01 are Merckx frames
- Call for clarification (210) 862-3524
- Merckx racers discovered to be Aero will move team into the Ride for Time Division (no divisional awards)
- Team may switch by logging back into https://myevents.active.com if done before event closes out
When registering the team a MPH estimate of speed average will be needed. Be accurate to within one tenth. XX.X
- Captain can change team’s mph speed at any time before registration closes by going into his account: https://myevents.active.com
- Be as accurate with this mph estimate to have fair divisions and prevent sandbags icons in the results
- Click HERE for mph calculator help
- YOU MAY NOT CHANGE YOUR MPH after registration closes (when the event field max is met)
- REGISTRATIONS HAS CLOSED FOR 2016. EDITS ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTED.
Custom size T-shirts
2X & 3X sized shirts and youth shirt may be of a different fabric and color but the graphic will be the same
- small fee to custom order larger shirts
Minor Children Registration
- Children under 18 (minors) must provide a minor’s liability release form signed by their parent/legal guardian at acket pickup
- Email email@example.com to be sent a minor waiver - we do not post here to prevent adults from accidentally downloading the wrong form
After registering online, active.com will send Captain a confirmation email within minutes If not received:
- Check junk or spam mail folder
- Log into https://myevents.active.com account to confirm registration was accepted, then contact Active to discuss problem http://activesupport.force.com/usersupport/US_web2case 877-228-4881 Active Support Line
- Major event updates will be communicated via email so you need to clear up any email blocks
- If you are unable to connect with active.com or need additional event information, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For specific race or route questions you may call (210) 862-3524
- Captain will receive correspondence from Tour de Gruene and must forward on to teammate
Packet pickup form-waivers will be posted here by October 30th
- Click here to print anAdult Team Time Trial Waiver (each racer needs their own)
- Minor Team Time Trial Waiver (under 18) -- email email@example.com for your form
Print the Form-Waiver:
- Form must have good ink distribution and be printed on one page
- poor print quality or alterations of the form will not be accepted
- Read the liability release form and if you agree, sign and date the form
- Late notifications of changes that result in division changes move a team into the Ride for Time division (no awards except overall)
- Write your Race Number in the box on the bottom right corner
- Write down your division and start times.
- Packet pickup is faster if you arrive with pre-filled form
- If you do not have a printer, waiver forms will available at packet pickup
May pick up a friend’s pre-registered packet IF:
- they provide you with their waiver - signed and completed. Participant's address/zip code/cell # should be on the back
- write YOUR physical address including zip code and mobile phone # entered during registration on the back of the waiver
- person picking up your packet must also write their name on the back and show a picture ID
Packet Pick-up Locations/Times
Wednesday, November 2nd from 4-9 pm at Bike World 1604 in San Antonio
**** KICK OFF PARTY **** and Optional Packet Pickup
Hosted at San Antonio BIKE WORLD 1604
Snacks and Spirits!! BIKE WORLD IS EXTENDING A 20% DISCOUNT TO ALL TOUR DE GRUENE PARTICIPANTS DURING THE PARTY *** INCLUDING NEW BIKES!!!! MUST HAVE TdG PACKET IN HAND FOR VERIFICATION.
Park in the shopping center just prior to Bike World and walk over. Parking on the access road may result in being towed
Bring your completed Form/Waiver to speed your processing
No Packet Pickups on Thursday or Friday
Wurstfest has free admittance on Opening Friday, 11-4 until 7 pm
Bring your completed Form/Waiver to speed your processing
Saturday, November 5th, at the Lazy L & L Pavilion (Directions)
8:00 - 9:00 am. (during tours registration)
1:00 - 4:00pm (during ITT registration)
Sunday, November 6th, at the Lazy L & L Pavilion
7:00 a.m. thru the last start time
- On the page Team Time Trial MAPS, you can view the MapMyRide route as planned
- We do not upload official maps to the website for printing until we are nearer the event date as a route could change due to construction or unforeseen safety concerns
- Racers are expected to print their own maps
- Commemorative Posters Collector Commemorative posters are composed each year by RC-CO www.rc-co.com 2016 poster/shirt artwork has not been revealed yet
- Commemorative posters are available in limited supply at packet pickup
- CASH only (no checks or plastic)
- Remaining posters from previous years will be available for purchase
- Posters cannot be mailed or purchased online
Lodging: Camp with us at our host site - the Lazy L & L Campground
- Lazy L&L Campground, host site of Tour de Gruene
- Join the Party!
- Overnight Tent and RV spaces available
- Call 830-964-3455 for Lazy L & L campsite or RV reservation information
New Braunfels Outdoor Adventures:
- Rent a camper from NBOA and they will set it up for you at the Lazy L&L campsite you reserve
- Campers sleep 6-8 people so join with others to split the cost
- Enjoy the convenience of being "on site" throughout the event weekend
- Requires a 2-night stay. Come in on Friday night, Tour on Saturday and Wurstfest Sat. night!
- Call 210-834-9787 for camper rental information
- Mention Tour de Gruene and receive 20% off of current rates!
Summit Resort -1 mile from event Villas, Cabins and more
- *UPDATE 10-1-16: ALL SUMMIT RESORT CABINS/VILLAS ARE FULL. There are campsites and RV slots still available.
- Event Special: 10% off
- Call (830) 964-2531 for reservation information http://www.summitresorttexas.com
Other Area Lodging
- Link to pdf of cabins/lodges by proximity to Lazy L & L
- Llink to same doc in excel format for ease in navigating
- New Braunfels C of C Listings www.innewbraunfels.com/visit/stay
- Wurstfest Assn Listings: http://web.innewbraunfels.com/Lodging-Travel-Tourism
- Interactive Map Listings: http://goo.gl/maps/5NxHl
Directions to the Tour de Gruene at the Lazy L & L
To facilitate traffic flow and parking procedures all vehicles are requested to enter Lazy L&L from the north (Sattler)
- Parking is included in your entry and will be in the grassy roped off area through the south entrance of the Lazy L & L Property
- Driving into other areas of Lazy L & L is not permitted without a camp reservation.
- A Traffic Improvement Plan is being designed for 2015.
Lunch for Online Registrants
Lunch and non-alcoholic drink ticket is included with online registrations
- If a meatless option is desired, you may indicate so during your online registration
- Additional meal tickets for family members may be purchased during online registration. If family is coming you need to purchased their tickets ONLINE with your registration.
- Lunch will be served from 11:30 to 2:00.
Lazy L & L sells wine and beer in addition to other food product in their store and at the Pavilion
- They accept all major credit cards except American Express.
- No checks.
- Bring the proper ID
- Enjoy music, dancing, carnival rides, games, food, adult beverages, and the finest in Alpine and Bavarian Style Entertainment
- Use your ticket included in your entry for free admittance ($10 value)
Ride for the Sally M. Kingsbury Cancer Research Foundation
- Sally Kingsbury was a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, sister, teacher, friend and pillar of the New Braunfels community who lost her life to Sarcoma. Friends and family started the foundation with a mission to fund research facilities dedicated to finding a cure for sarcoma knockoutsarcoma.org
Placement of race numbers
- Instructions for aligning your race number will be over the pockets on the rear of your jersey.
- WEAR THE HELMET STICKERS
- A frame number will be mounted on the Captain’s bike where your team stages. Captain will be asked to return their number just after finishing the race.
Your Team needs a CHANGE or can’t compete
At all times when participating in Tour de Gruene and mounted on a bicycle you must wear a securely fastened helmet that meets either the US DOT helmet standards or one of the following standards:
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard Z90.4
- Snell Memorial Foundation Standard “B” or “N” serie
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard F-1447
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA) standard CAN/CSA-D113.2-M
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
Photography by RxDesign www.RxDesign.com
- RxDesign will upload photographs in the week following the event
- Pictures from previous Tour de Gruene years can also be found on his website
- Contact RxDesign with any questions about your event photography http://rxdesign.zenfolio.com/tdg
If inclement weather
- Rain or shine, the Tour de Gruene will go on as long as there is no flooding, eminent thunderstorms or other weather conditions that may delay the start of the tours, or cancel them depending on their severity and intensity.
- Be prepared and bring a water proof shell or cycling jacket. If the forecast calls for lower temperatures arm warmers, leg warmers, and gloves are also recommended
- Information about delays or cancellations will be placed on the website www.tourdegruene.com
- There will be no refunds for cancellations
How do I change my team estimated mph speed?
You can go back into your registration as many times as you want until registration closes to make changes Click HERE for more information
- If you are unable to make the changes, write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your Team needs a partner CHANGE?
- Your Team can no longer compete?
- CLICK HERE to view PARTNER or TEAM STATUS options
- How to transfer your registration to someone else
Can I change shirt size after I register online?
- Shirt sizes may be altered thru October 12th by writing to email@example.com
One designated SWAP table at packet-pickup will allow changes
- SWAP shirts are different fabric but same graphic.
- SWAP shirt/size option is available only while quantities last
Can I purchase additional shirts?
- Additional shirts may only be purchased at the Lazy L&L after 10am on Saturday, and Sunday morning
- Shirts from previous years (as available) can be purchased at reduced prices (cash only-no checks/plastic)
Can my packet, shirt and/or Wurstfest ticket be mailed?
We do not mail items to entrants
- Have someone pick up your packet for you
- They will need your signed release form with ride#, email, and physical address to claim
Will there be an ATM on site?
- There is not an ATM on site, however, one is located at the Valero station 3 miles north of the start/finish
- Map from TdG to Valero Station in Sattler
Are there showers on site?
Yes. There are 4 different bath houses.
- Shower tokens supplied at packet pickup upon request
- location of showers: http://www.lazylandl.com/pdf/camp_map.pdf
What is Historic Gruene?
Gruene is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and many of the buildings that were rescued have been awarded a Texas medallion from the Texas Historical Commission. It is recognized by the Texas travel industry as a premiere attraction for visitors.
- The main focus of Gruene is bona fide Texas. Everything from the wares they sell to the music they play speaks to providing its guests with an experience that has the signature seal of the Lone Star State.
- Gruene is about a 20 minute drive from Tour de Gruene
- Map from TdG to Gruene by way of Hwy 306 (faster than taking River Road)
Is Tour de Gruene going ‘Green’?
- Tour de Gruene has always worked “Towards Zero Waste (TZW)”. Reducing the amount of items that end up in recycling and compost along with (and especially) the landfill is our goal. Re-using items as many times as possible before they are discarded is great too.
- The owners of Lazy L & L property take extreme pride in keeping their property looking the way nature intended – trash free! Please help us to demonstrate to the Lazy L & L staff that the cyclist community respects the environment in which they ride and is pro-active when it comes to recycling or disposing of trash properly
http://rxdesign.zenfolio.com/tdg to view pictures from Tour de Gruene
Please ‘LIKE’ us on our www.facebook.com/tourdegruene.com