2014 Individual Time Trial Information
Saturday afternoon, November 8th, 2014
Racing down scenic River road
15.5 Miles in Length
2:00 pm first racer off from Lazy L & L
We are sorry, but the Individual Time Trial event has met it's maximum limit.
Please consider adding your name to the waiting list. Replacements are chosen by matching est. mph, not by time of listing, so there's no better time than now to be added to the list!
Consider racing with a partner in our Two Person Team Time Trials held on Sunday, November 9th. Always a favorite event for spectators as it is the "original" Tour de Gruene event. Navigate to the Team Time Trial page to register.
contact event information firstname.lastname@example.org
Tour de Gruene 2014 has an exciting new venue!!! After 30 years of tours and racing along beautiful River Road we have decided that is where we belong …. ON River Road! Surrounded by limestone cliffs and encircled by the Guadalupe River it’s hard to imagine a more scenic location than the Lazy L & L valley property. It is a time to enjoy the camaraderie alongside fellow cyclists who share your love of cycling the magnificent central Texas countryside.
Individual Time Trials are a competition but no racing license is required. Racers begin from a starting ramp and start 30 seconds apart and then race 15.5 miles against the clock for awards in various gender, equipment, age, and ability divisions. Racers will be seed started according to their predicted average mph for the course. Last year's winner, and any course record holders, are given the honor of being seeded last if they request.
Our Post Ride Celebration will include a catered dinner awards ceremony under the spacious and modern pavilion at the Lazy L & L. Horseshoes, washers and sand volleyball courts surround the pavilion. Like to camp or RV? Reserve a site through L & L and gather with other cyclists along the river for the weekend.
Also included in your entry is a ticket into Wurstfest – a local German festival with good food and the finest in Alpine and Bavarian style entertainment.
The 2014 Individual Time Trial Route
Along the same course as last year
Start is located at Lazy L & L on River Road.
Route goes south on River Road and all right hand turns
Route has 995 feet of climbing
Finish is about half a mile from the start (map link)
Divisions are Formed After Registration Closes
No racing license required to race
Open to 250 individuals
• Gender (Men, Women)
• Equipment (Aero or Merckx)
• Age of the racer
Five minutes prior to appointed start time is customary to line-up
Racer's official time begins at the appointed start time, whether
racer is present or not
Late starts are coordinated in the "Late Start Lane"
located on ground level beside the start ramps
• Arriving late may mean waiting until the racer currently
on the ramp has been started by the official
• No matter how late, an official MUST start each racer
Time is recorded from racer’s appointed start time, to the
leading edge of the front wheel when crossing the finish line
Tour de Gruene awards are presented to top times in each
• Quantity of prizes is dependent upon total entries per division.
• Typically 3 places per division
• Typically over 40 divisions
Placement of race numbers will be detailed later
• Supported race (police at intersections)
• Free parking in venue area
• Collector shirt in size ordered
• Admission Ticket into Wurstfest
• Awards dinner catered by Lazy L & L
• 1 shower token (6 min) upon request @ packet pickup
Merckx or Aero Equipment Racing Division?
• racer displays any one of the following:
aero helmet, aero bars, skinsuit, wheels,
or tear shaped frame tubes
• racer may NOT have aero helmet, aero bars,
• Merckx racers discovered to have Aero equipment
will be moved into the Ride for Time Division (no awards)
Racer may switch divisions anytime before the event fills up
Accuracy on estimating MPH ability
When a MPH estimate of speed average will be needed. Be accurate to within one tenth. XX.X
• Racer can change estimated mph speed at any time before
registration closes by going into his/her account:
• Be as accurate with this mph estimate to have fair divisions
and prevent sandbags icons in the results
• Click HERE for mph calculator help
YOU MAY NOT CHANGE YOUR MPH when event fills
(when event field max of 250 is met)
We anticipate the shirt style to be "fashion fit" sizing
• which means typically more snug
• if snug is not to your liking .... size up
TripleX sized shirts and youth sizes may be of a different
fabric and color but the graphic will be the same
• the cost to special order tripleX sized shirts is $5
Minor Children Registration
Children under 18 (minors) must be registered by their adult legal
guardian using a “Minor release form”
• Form will be available here on November 1st
After registering online, active.com will send a confirmation
email within minutes. If not received:
• Check junk or spam mail folder
• Log into https://myevents.active.com account to confirm
registration was accepted, then
• contact Active to discuss problem
877-228-4881 Active Support Phone
Major event updates will be communicated via email so you need
to clear up any email blocks
If you are unable to connect with active.com or need additional
event information, write to email@example.com
registration closing by going to https://myevents.active.com
For specific race or route questions you may call (210) 862-3524
Packet Pick-up Form/Waiver:
Packet pickup form-waivers will be posted here on November 1st
• Adult Recreational Tour waiver
• Child Recreational Tour waiver (under 18)
Print the Form-Waiver:
• Form must have good ink distribution and be printed on one page
• poor print quality or alterations of the form will not be accepted
• Read the liability release form and if you agree, sign and
date the form
• Divisions will be posted here on October 29, 2014
• Check the list for accuracy
• No one associated with Tour de Gruene or Active inputs
answers into your registrations - data entry errors are common
• Late notifications of changes that result in division changes move
a racer into the Ride for Time division (no awards except overall)
• 2 day period for racers to look over the Divisions for problems
• Official list posted on November 1st, including Divisions,
• Write your Ride Number in the box on the bottom right corner
Packet pickup is faster if you arrive with pre-filled form
If you do not have a printer, waiver forms will available at
May pick up a friend’s pre-registered packet IF:
• they provide you with their waiver - signed and completed
• confirm their physical address including zip code and mobile
phone# entered during registration
Packet Pick-up Locations/Times
Wednesday, November 5th from 4-9pm a Bike World 1604
• Hosted at San Antonio Bike World 1604 map
• Amazing FEAST prepared by Bike World co-owner Bill Simons!
• food donated by Whole Foods Market.
• Bike World offers 15% discount to riders during the party
• Park in the shopping center just prior to Bike World
• Parking on the access road may result in being towed
• Bonus!! -- First 100 people to show up at Bike World wearing
any previous year Tour de Gruene shirt -- will get a free
small 2014 poster!
• Bring your completed Form/Waiver to speed your processing
Saturday, November 8th 8:00 am - 8:45 am
• Lazy L & L Pavilion (Directions)
• Bring your completed Form/Waiver to speed your processing!
Saturday, November 8th 1:00 pm - thru last racer
• Lazy L & L Pavilion
View the ITT route here (link)
We do not upload official maps to the website for printing until
we are nearer the event date as a route could change due
to construction or unforeseen safety concerns
We ask racers to print their own map because
• Many riders use only GPS devices and download
• Racers study the maps ahead of time and most were observed
discarding maps from their packets
Collector Commemorative posters are composed each year by RC-CO
• 2014 poster/shirt artwork has not been revealed yet
Commemorative posters are available in limited supply at
• $5 each, or 3 for $10
• CASH only (no checks or plastic)
• Remaining posters from previous years will be available for purchase
• Posters cannot be mailed or purchased online
Lazy L&L Campground, host site of Tour de Gruene
Join the Party! Stay all night! Or both nights! Or longer!
• Overnight Tent and RV spaces available (see site for rates)
• Day campsites (thru 6 pm) available
• Click here for Special Tour de Gruene CampSite Rates!
• Call 830-964-3455 for reservation information
Other Area Lodging
Link to pdf of cabins/lodges by proximity to Lazy L & L
Interactive Map Listings:
Directions to the Tour de Gruene at the Lazy L & L
To facilitate traffic flow and parking procedures all vehicles
are requested to enter Lazy L&L from the north (Sattler)
From I-35 North
From I-35 South
From I-10 East
From 281 at 46
From 281 at 306
Parking is included in your entry and will be in the grassy roped
off area through the south entrance of the Lazy L & L Property
Driving into other areas of Lazy L & L is not permitted without a
• If you do reserve a day or night campsite, you will enter through
the camp entrance of the Lazy L & L, which is 500 feet north of
the Tour de Gruene parking entrance
• Click here to be directed to more info on day/night campsites
Lunch for Online Registrants
Lunch and non-alcoholic drink ticket is included with online
• If a meatless option is desired, you may indicate so during your
• Additional meal tickets for family members may be purchased
during online registration
Lazy L & L sells wine and beer in addition to other food
product in their store and at the Pavilion
• They accept all major credit cards except American Express.
• No checks.
• Bring the proper ID
Enjoy music, dancing, carnival rides, games, food, adult beverages,
and the finest in Alpine and Bavarian Style Entertainment
Use your ticket included in your entry for free admittance ($10 value)
• Wurstfest runs November 7th thru the 16th, 2014
• Wurstfest is about a 30 minute drive from Tour de Gruene by way
of Hwy 306 (faster than taking River Road)
• Map link from TdG to Wurstfest via Sattler
Sally Kingsbury was a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, sister,
teacher, friend and pillar of the New Braunfels community who
lost her life to Sarcoma. Friends and family started the foundation
with a mission to fund research facilities dedicated to finding a
cure for sarcoma
Placement of race numbers
Instructions for aligning your race number will be here
at later date
You may TRANSFER your registration
• Log into: https://myevents.active.com
• READ: How-To-Transfer-My-Entry-To-Someone-Else
Transfer/Refund option is not allowed:
• for children (under 18)
At all times when participating in Tour de Gruene and mounted
on a bicycle you must wear a securely fastened helmet that
meets either the US DOT helmet standards or one of the
• American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard Z90.4
• Snell Memorial Foundation Standard "B" or "N" serie
• American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard F-1447
• Canadian Standards Association (CSA) standard CAN/CSA-D113.2-M
• U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
• European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
Photography by RxDesign
• RxDesign will upload photographs in the week following the event
• Pictures from previous Tour de Gruene years can also be
• Contact RxDesign with any questions about your event photography
If inclement weather
Rain or shine, the Tour de Gruene will go on as long as there is
no flooding, eminent thunderstorms or other weather conditions
that may delay the start of the tours, or cancel them depending on
their severity and intensity.
Be prepared and bring a water proof shell or cycling jacket. If the
forecast calls for lower temperatures arm warmers, leg warmers,
and gloves are also recommended
Information about delays or cancellations will be placed on the
There will be no refunds for cancellations
What if I need to adjust my mph estimate?
It is imperative that this estimate be accurate for hosting a safe
There are no refund options - Unless -
It is before the event has closed out online. If so, you may
May I change shirt size after I register online?
Shirt sizes may be altered any time before October 16th
thru your account
• Log into: https://myevents.active.com and make changes
• Only primary acct holders can change shirt sizes. If you registered
a 2nd person through your account, their info cannot be changed
A designated SWAP table at packet-pickup will allow shirt swaps
• SWAP shirts are different fabric but same graphic.
• Option to swap is available only while quantities last
Can I purchase additional shirts?
Additional shirts may only be purchased during your online
registration process thru October 16th
Shirts from previous years (as available) can be purchased at
reduced prices (cash only-no checks/plastic)
Can my packet, shirt and/or Wurstfest ticket be mailed?
We do not mail items to entrants
• Have someone pick up your packet for you
• They will need your signed release form with ride#, email,
and physical address to claim
Will there be an ATM on site?
There is not an ATM on site, however, one is located at the Valero
station 3 miles north of the start/finish
• Map from TdG to Valero Station in Sattler
Are there showers on site?
Yes. There are 4 different bath houses.
• One 6 minute shower token supplied at packet pickup upon request
• Additional tokens may be purchased in registration ($1ea)
• location of showers: http://www.lazylandl.com/pdf/camp_map.pdf
What is Historic Gruene?
Gruene is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and
many of the buildings that were rescued have been awarded a
Texas medallion from the Texas Historical Commission. It is
recognized by the Texas travel industry as a premiere
attraction for visitors.
•The main focus of Gruene is bona fide Texas. Everything from the
wares they sell to the music they play speaks to providing its
guests with an experience that has the signature seal of the
Lone Star State.
• Gruene is about a 20 minute drive from Tour de Gruene
• Map from TdG to Gruene by way of Hwy 306 (faster than taking
Tour de Gruene has always worked “Towards Zero Waste (TZW)”.
Reducing the amount of items that end up in recycling and compost
along with (and especially) the landfill is our goal. Re-using items as
many times as possible before they are discarded is great too.
The owners of Lazy L & L property take extreme pride in keeping
their property looking the way nature intended – trash free! Please
help us to demonstrate to the Lazy L & L staff that the cyclist
community respects the environment in which they ride and is
---- Need a little motivation?? Watch these videos! ----
PARTY DOWN AT BIKE WORLD 1604 IN SAN ANTON
Tour de Gruene Kick Off Party and Packet Pickup
Wednesday, November 5th, 2014
Mark your calendars!
"LIKE" us on Facebook
To get our "TWEETS" twitter.com/Tourdegruene
P R I O R Y E A R R E S U L T S
Pictures from Tour de Gruene events may be found at www.RxDesign.com