Tour de Gruene Recreational Tours
Start/Finish at the Lazy L & L on River Road Saturday morning, November 5th, 2016 Between Austin and San Antonio
CLICK HERE to be notified when 2017 registration opens and the opportunity to register at the lowest rate offered for the season.
Tour de Gruene Recreational Tours
Tour de Gruene Fall Bicycle Classic hosts cycling tours and competitive time trials along beautiful River Road in New Braunfels, Texas. Surrounded by limestone cliffs and encircled by the Guadalupe River it’s hard to imagine a more scenic location than the Lazy L & L Campground valley property.Tour de Gruene is an amazing ride – offering six different tour routes between 14 and 65 miles.
Recreational Tours receive medical and mechanical support as well as relaxation stations approximately every 10 miles with restrooms and refreshments. Most intersections are controlled by officers. Our Post Ride Celebration will include music and a catered lunch under the spacious and modern pavilion at the Lazy L & L.Also included in your entry is a ticket into Wurstfest – a local German festival with good food and the finest in Alpine and Bavarian style entertainment. And we are proud to say that we have one of the best event t-shirts in the state that always features are-purposed vintage cycling graphic redesigned by Roger Christian & Company.
Tour de Gruene is a time to enjoy the camaraderie alongside fellow cyclists who share your love of touring the magnificent central Texas countryside.Horseshoes, washers and sand volleyball courts surround the pavilion. Like to camp or RV? Reserve a site through L & L and gather with other cyclists along the river for the weekend. Current Event rates are posted below in the Registration Information section. We look forward to seeing you in November for a spectacular ride. Our chosen charity to benefit is the Sally M. Kingsbury Sarcoma Research Foundation of New Braunfels.
Sign up on the top of this page to be notified when online registration opens.
ONLINE registrants are guaranteed the following extra amenities:
• Post Ride Celebration Lunch
• Wurstfest ticket to Bavarian Festival ($10 value)
• Quality Event Shirt
Walk-Up registrants will receive the extra amenities “as available.”
• Extra items in limited quantities will be ordered for walk-up registrants
• Distribution will be “as available” at time of packet pick-up
• No guarantee of lunch, Wurstfest ticket, or shirt to day of registrants
Support during the Tour
- directional arrows are strategically placed along the course to ensure that riders know where to turn at all intersections
- view MapMyRide links from the website and download phone app if possible
- printable maps– registrants will receive an email when maps are closed for changes and available for printing from the website
- Tour de Gruene employs Professional off-duty Police, Deputies and DPS officers in directing traffic at intersections
Rest Stops approximately every 10 miles
- fresh fruit and a varied supply of snacks
- water and electrolyte fluids
- portable toilets
- first aid
- available at key rest stops and at the beginning of the tours
- offer basic repairs only
- strongly suggest you give your bike a full maintenance checkup prior to the ride
- please reserve SAG use for those with transport needs due to mechanical or minor medical, not for a lift the untrained cyclist.
- SAGS travel equidistance apart at set intervals – however; riders may text in their location & status – see info on your maps & turn by turns printable from the maps page.
- For all major medical emergency needs, call 911
- For minor medical, first aid kits can be found at each rest stop and within each SAG vehicle
At all times when mounted on a bicycle you must wear a securely fastened helmet that meets either the US DOT helmet standards or one of the following standards:
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard Z90.4
- Snell Memorial Foundation Standard “B” or “N” series
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard F-1447
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA) standard CAN/CSA-D113.2-M
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standard
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN) standard
- Pets are not allowed on the Lazy L & L grounds.
- If you plan to ride with your pet on your bike, write to email@example.com for special permission; however; note that due to liability issues, there is a no-dog policy on the Lazy L&L premises which means the pet must reside in your vehicle or kenneled when on the premises
- If weather precludes the event from beginning or finishing, or if the routes are changed or shortened due to unforeseeable issues, there are no refunds. If cancelled, a plan for day of packet pickup will be announced to get shirts and Wurstfest ticket.
- If inclement weather delays the start of the ride: Due to support of EMT, police, volunteers, etc. - tour rides may be shortened to ensure the ride stays supported.
- A third party insurance program through Allianz Global Assistance is offered to all active.com event registrants at the time of their checkout. Tour de Gruene has no involvement with this process. We suggest you study the policy prior to beginning registration to learn if it is something you will want to add to your cart at checkout. Here is their link:Americas.Allianz-Assistance.com
After registering online, active.com will send you a confirmation email within minutes to the email you are registered under. If you do not receive that email:
- Check your junk or spam mail folder
- Log into your https://myevents.active.com account to confirm your registration was accepted, then contact active.com to discuss problem of missing email
Active.Com Customer Support toll free at 877-228-4881
- Monday to Friday from 9:00am – 7:00pm Central Time
- Major event updates will be communicated via email so you need to clear up any email blocks
Packet Pick-up Form/Waiver:
Packet pickup form-waivers below:
Waivers will be available here for printing as we near the event date.
Print the Form-Waiver:
- Form must have good ink distribution and be printed on one page poor print quality or alterations of the form will not be accepted. Read the liability release form and if you agree, sign and date the form
- A list of registered riders will be HERE on Oct. 30th
- Write your Ride Number in the box on the bottom right of your form.
- Packet pickup is faster if you arrive with your form with ride #
- If you do not have a printer, waiver forms will available at packet pickup
Can a friend pick up my packet for me?
- You must provide your friend with your SIGNED AND DATED WAIVER to bring to packet pickup (waiver link is above for printing)
- You must print your full mailing address (including zip code) and phone# on the back of your waiver form.
- Your friend must also print their name on the back or your waiver (they should include their ride # if they are riding)
- Your friend must show a valid picture ID to claim your packet.
Packet Pick-up Locations/Times
Wednesday, November 2nd from 4-9pm at BIKE WORLD 1604 in San Antonio
- KICK OFF PARTY Optional Packet Pickup PLUS Post Registrations
- BIKE WORLD IS GIVING PARTICIPANTS 20% OFF ON ALL MERCHANDISE-INCLUDING BIKES!
- Must show packet to receive discounts
- Bring your completed Form/Waiver to speed your processing
- This is a PARTY with light snacks and spirits! Come join us!
No packet pickups on Thursday or Friday
- If coming in early on Friday, Wurstfest has free admittance until 7 pm as it is their Opening Night
Saturday, November 5th – 6:30-8:45
- Tour Day Packet Pickup & Registration at Lazy L & L (Map Link)
- Packet Pickup and Post Registration held under large pavilion
- Pre-registered only: Download your waiver (found in links above) and bypass the forms tables for a speedy pickup.
- Walk-up registrant: You must obtain your registration form/waiver at registration. Do not download the waivers here that are intended for pre-registered entrants only
- On the Tours Recreation MAPS page, you can view the MapMyRide routes, Printable Maps, and Turn-by-Turns
- PRINT YOUR OWN MAPS
- PRINT YOUR OWN TURN BY TURN INSTRUCTIONS
- Collector Commemorative posters are composed each year by RC-CO www.rc-co.com
- Commemorative posters are available in limited supply at packet pickup $10 for 2015 poster, $5 for previomus years (as available) CASH only (no checks or plastic) Posters cannot be mailed or purchased online
Lodging: Camp with us at our host site - the Lazy L & L Campground
- Lazy L&L Campground, host site of Tour de Gruene
- Join the Party!
- Overnight Tent and RV spaces available
- Call 830-964-3455 for Lazy L & L campsite or RV reservation information
New Braunfels Outdoor Adventures:
- Rent a camper from NBOA and they will set it up for you at the Lazy L&L campsite you reserve
- Campers sleep 6-8 people so join with others to split the cost
- Enjoy the convenience of being "on site" throughout the event weekend
- Requires a 2-night stay. Come in on Friday night, Tour on Saturday and Wurstfest Sat. night!
- Call 210-834-9787 for camper rental information
- Mention Tour de Gruene and receive 20% off of current rates!
Summit Resort -1 mile from event Villas, Cabins and more
- *UPDATE 10-1-16: ALL SUMMIT RESORT CABINS/VILLAS ARE FULL. There are campsites and RV slots still available.
- Event Special: 10% off
- Call (830) 964-2531 for reservation information http://www.summitresorttexas.com
Other Area Lodging
- Link to pdf list of cabins/lodges by proximity to Lazy L & L
- Link to same list as an excel document for ease in navigating
- New Braunfels C of C Listings : www.innewbraunfels.com/visit/stay
- Wurstfest Assn Listings: www.nbjumpin.com/wurstfest.htm
- Interactive Map Listings: http://goo.gl/maps/5NxHl
To facilitate traffic flow and parking procedures all vehicles are requested to enter Lazy L&L from the north (Sattler)
- Parking is included in your entry
- In 2015 additional entrances into the parking area were put into place; in addition to a traffic improvement plan Please allow 30” extra time for arriving at the event during peak travel time (7:00 to 8:00)
Driving into back riverfront areas of Lazy L & L is not permitted without a prior reservation.
- If you do have a campsite/rv reservation- enter through the first entrance from the north www.lazylandl.com
Staging for your Tour
- Staging in a stratified manner allows the most time to the longest distance riders to complete the route in the time allotted.
- Locate signage identifying your tour distance
- Stage within your tour distance groupto decrease congestion
- Riders planning to ride a fast pace stage at the front of the grid
- Riders who plan to ride a moderate pace stage in the middle
Riders that will be riding a leisurely pace stage at the back
Lunch for Online Registrants
- Lunch will be served under the Lazy L & L pavilion.
- Tear-off lunch ticket is attached to the bottom of your ride number if you registered ONLINE
- If a meatless option is desired, you may indicate so during online registration - we do not adherre to any specific Vegan or Vegetarian diet plan. May need to bring your own lunch if ‘non-meat’ is not adequate for your nutritional plan
- Additional meal tickets for family members may be purchased during online registration only
- Lazy L & L sell wine and beer in addition to other food product in their store and at the Pavilion
- They accept all major credit cards except American Express.
- No checks.
- Bring the proper ID
- Enjoy music, dancing, carnival rides, games, food, adult beverages,and the finest in Alpine and Bavarian Style Entertainment
Use your ticket included in your entry for free admittance ($10 value)
For additional Wurstfest tickets, and drink tickets click HERE
- Wurstfest runs November 4th thru the 12th, 2016
Wursthalle, 178 Landa Park Drive, New Braunfels, TX 78130 www.wurstfest.com
- Wurstfest is about a 30 minute drive from Tour de Gruene by way of Hwy 306 (faster than taking River Road)
- Ride for the Sally M. Kingsbury Cancer Research Foundation Sally Kingsbury was a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, sister, teacher, friend and pillar of the New Braunfels community who lost her life to Sarcoma. Friends and family started the foundation with a mission to fund research facilities dedicated to finding cure for sarcoma. knockoutsarcoma.org
Photography by RxDesign: www.RxDesign.com
- RxDesign will upload photographs in the week following the event
- Pictures from previous Tour de Gruene years can also be foundon his website
- Please display your helmet ride # on the front of your helmet.This number is required for ID at rest/mechanical stops and will also be used by event photgraphers.
- Contact RxDesign: jspring@RXDESIGN.com
- View Pictures from 2015: http://rxdesign.zenfolio.com/tdg2015
Maximum time to finish? Is that just a suggestion?
A Tour schedule chart for starting and finishing is posted on thispage.All event personnel are on a schedule. Police, EMT,mechanics, Sag vans, rest stop volunteers, and lunch catering all work according to the time expectations in the schedule.Select a route that you can ride and keep up with the minimumpace expectation while remembering that the longer courses are the most challenging. Also, if you tend to spend more than 10minutes at rest stops, you may need to select a shorter route inorder to finish within the expected time limits. To ride in a supported ride, and to get back in time to receive the includedmeal, participants need to choose rides according to the pacethey can maintain.Tour de Gruene longer routes are, by design, intended for the more trained riders. Also to note, the finishtimes on the chart reflect stopping at every available rest stopfor 10 minutes each.
What if I find I want to change routes after I register?
You are permitted to change your route distance at any time. You do not need to notify us of your route change as you are responsible for printing your own map choices. SAG support is intended for those needing mechanical or medical. Routes get hillier and harder as they get longer If you get to a crossroads and are more tired than you thought you would be, take the shorter route to return to Lazy L & L Suggested that you download several map choices.
What if I find I am unable to ride after I register?
Here are some options:
- You locate someone to transfer your registration slot. After they register (using the transfer code) and when they complete the financial transaction, then active.com will be refund monies back to your card.(transfer instructions below)
- You may “donate” your slot to someone you know. Write firstname.lastname@example.org and inform them of the name and email of the person you are donating your slot to and we will send them an entry code number to be used at checkout.
- You may write to email@example.com to request a partial refund. The earlier the cancellation, the more that is refunded.
If October 13th or later, there are no transfers nor refunds.
- Adults registered thru active.com may transfer their entry to a friend up until October 25th
- Log into: https://myevents.active.com
- READ: How-To-Transfer-My-Entry-To-Someone-Else
There are no transfers nor refunds for
- walk-up registrations
- children (under 18)
- or anyone after October 25th
Can I change shirt size after I register online?
- Shirt sizes may be altered if request is received by Oct. 12th email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your registration ID found on your confirmation email
One designated SWAP table at packet-pickup will allow changes of shirts as available
- note that SWAP shirts may be different fabric/color/fit; but will have the same graphic
- note that the SWAP option is available only while quantities last
Can I purchase additional shirts?
- Shirts remaining, if available, may be purchased after your ride at the poster table under the pavilion at the Lazy L&L
- Shirts from previous years (as available) can be purchased at reduced prices (cash only-no checks/plastic)
- Current year shirts are $15, Previous years $10
Can my packet, shirt and/or Wurstfest ticket be mailed?
- Sorry, we do not mail items to entrants. You may have someone pick up your packet for you at a packet pickup. They will need your signed release form with ride, email,and your physical address with zip code to claim.
What happens if it rains?
- Rain or shine, the Tour de Gruene will go on as long as there is no flooding, eminent thunderstorms or other weather conditions that may delay the start of the tours, or cancel them depending ont heir severity and intensity. No refunds if cancelled. If possible, and if we have a few days notice, we will either shorten,or reroute the tours. Be prepared and bring a water proof shell or cycling jacket. If the forecast calls for lower temperatures arm warmers, leg warmers, and gloves are also recommended
How difficult is the route?
- All the routes (except the 14mile tour) are very challenging and feature moderate to extreme climbs. The routes also feature fun-filled descents down canyons. There is a combination of flat and rolling hill terrain. The longer routes are intended for the more experienced and conditioned riders only.
The 14 miles tour is an out and back. How does that work?
- Because we are committed to not having cyclists going both ways on River Road (at the same time) we are holding 14mile tour rider sat the 7-mile turn-around rest stop until most havecongregated—and then all will return.
Will there be an ATM on site?
- There is not an ATM on site, however, one is located at the Valero station 3 miles north of the start/finish
Are there showers on site?
- Yes. There are 4 different bath houses. Obtain a shower token from the Poster Sales Table.
Learn More About our Primary Charity - SMKSR - Sally M Kingsbury Sarcoma Research Foundation.