2016 TOUR DE GRUENE INDIVIDUAL TIME TRIAL
Saturday, November 5, 2016 - First Racer Off at 2:00 pm
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. GET ON OUR MAILING LIST FOR NEXT YEAR'S EVENT BY CLICKING HERE.
IF YOU ARE A PARTICIPANT CLICK HERE FOR PACKET PICKUP AND OTHER INSTRUCTIONS.
PARTICIPANTS YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THE TOUR DE GRUENE ROLL OUT PARTY THIS WEDNESDAY, NOV 2ND FROM 4 TO 9 AT BIKE WORLD 1604 IN SAN ANTONIO. FUN TIMES AND A HUGE STOREWIDE SALE FOR ALL TDG PARTICIPANTS ONLY. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
contact event information email@example.com
Tour de Gruene 2016 will once again race along beautiful River Road. Surrounded by limestone cliffs and encircled by the Guadalupe River it’s hard to imagine a more scenic start location than the Lazy L & L valley property. It is a time to enjoy the camaraderie alongside fellow cyclists who share your love of cycling the magnificent central Texas countryside.
Individual Time Trials are a competition but no racing license is required. Racers begin from a starting ramp and start 30 to 60 seconds apart and then race 15.5 miles against the clock for awards in approximately 45 different gender, equipment, age, and ability divisions. Racers will be seed started according to their predicted average mph for the course.
Our Post Ride Celebration will include a catered dinner awards ceremony under the spacious and modern pavilion at the Lazy L & L. Horseshoes, washers and sand volleyball courts surround the pavilion. Like to camp or RV? Reserve a site through L & L and gather with other cyclists along the river for the weekend.
Also included in your entry is a ticket into Wurstfest – a local German festival with good food and the finest in Alpine and Bavarian style entertainment. And of course our classic, quality t-shirts featuring a graphic from a repurposed vintage posters as redesigned by Roger Christian and Company rc-co for our event.
We look forward to seeing everyione in November for a spectacular race and fun gathering. The Sally M. Kingsbury Sarcoma Research Foundation of New Braunfels is our chosen charity.
The 2016 Individual Time Trial Route
- 15.5 miles in length.
- Along the same course as last year
- Start is located at Lazy L & L on River Road.
- Route goes south on River Road and all right hand turns
Route has 995 feet of climbing
- Finish is not at the start (map link)
- To return you may continue forward 12.5 miles to complete the loop returning to the Lazy L&L venue (preferred) Or, wait for a shuttle to take you up the hill to Sattler where you can coast the 3 miles downhill to the Lazy L&L (there will be shuttle wait times)
Divisions are Formed After Registration Closes
- No racing license required to race
- Open to 250 individuals
Four components to are considered in forming each division:
- Gender (Men, Women)
- Equipment (Aero or Merckx)
- Age of the racer
- Predicted Average Speed on the course
- Five minutes prior to appointed start time is customary to line-up
- Racer’s official time begins at the appointed start time, whether racer is present or not
Late starts are coordinated in the “Late Start Lane” located on ground level beside the start ramps
- Arriving late may mean waiting until the racer currently on the ramp has been started by the official
- No matter how late, an official MUST start each racer
- Time is recorded from racer’s appointed start time, to the leading edge of the front wheel when crossing the finish line
Tour de Gruene awards
- 3 places per division
- Typically 50 age/equipment divisions
- Drafting other vehicles, racers, and not completing the entire course will result in penalties or disqualification
- Warming up will be only to the north on River road, or in the Ponderosa Subdivision (MAP to PONDEROSA)
- Placement of race numbers will be detailed later
Be notified when registration opens for 2017:
Each racer receives:
- Supported race (police at intersections)
- Free parking in venue area
- Collector shirt in size ordered
- Admission Ticket into Wurstfest
- Awards dinner catered by Lazy L & L
- Shower tokens (request from poster sales table)
- Earlier you enter, the lower the entry fee
- CLICK HERE to be added to the notify list for 2017
Merckx or Aero Equipment Racing Division?
- racer displays any one of the following: aero helmet, aero bars, skinsuit, shoe covers, disc wheels,or rims deeper than 30mm
- no aero helmet, aero bars, or skinsuit
- no shoe covers unless it is below 50 degrees
- rim depth less than or = to 30mm
- Foil, Venge, Madone, F8,S5,SL,CF,TMR01 are Merckx frames
- Call for clarification (210) 862-3524
- Merckx racers discovered to be Aero will be moved into the Ride for Time Division (no divisional awards)
- Racer may switch by logging back into https://myevents.active.com if done before event closes out
When a MPH estimate of speed average will be needed. Be accurate to within one tenth. XX.X
- Racer can change estimated mph speed at any time before registration closes by going into his/her account: https://myevents.active.com
- Be as accurate with this mph estimate to have fair divisions and prevent sandbags icons in the results
- Click HERE for mph calculator if you do not utilize a cyclocomputer
- YOU MAY NOT CHANGE YOUR MPH after registration closes on October 26th
- We anticipate the shirt style to be “fashion fit” sizing which means typically more snug
- if snug is not to your liking .... size up
Minor Children Registration
- Children under 18 (minors) must be registered online by their adult legal guardian
- Liability Waiver Release form can be obtained at packet pickup or by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
After registering online, active.com will send a confirmation email within minutes. If not received:
- Check junk or spam mail folder
- Log into https://myevents.active.com account to confirm registration was accepted, then contact Active to discuss problem
- 877-228-4881 Active Support Phone
- Major event updates will be communicated via text and/or email. Make sure this email address is whitelisted: email@example.com
- If you are unable to connect with active.com or need additional event information, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Racer can preview and edit registration prior to registration closing by going to https://myevents.active.com
- For specific race or route questions you may call (210) 862-3524
Packet pickup form-waivers will be posted here on October 30th
- Click here to print the Adult Individual Time Trial waiver
- Minor Child Individual Time Trial waiver (under 18)--- write to email@example.com to have one mailed or pick one up at packet pickup
Print the Form-Waiver:
- Form must have good ink distribution and be printed on one page
- poor print quality or alterations of the form will not be accepted
- Read the liability release form and if you agree, sign and date the form
- CLICK HERE FOR DIVISIONS, START TIMES, AND RACE # TO ADD TO YOUR WAIVER
- Late notifications of changes that result in division changes move a racer into the Ride for Time division (no awards)
- Write your RACE Number in the box on the bottom right corner
- Write your Division Number, Divsion Name, and Start time on the BACK of the form
- Packet pickup is faster if you arrive with a pre-filled form
- If you do not have a printer, waiver forms will available at packet pickup
May pick up a friend’s pre-registered packet IF:
- they provide you with their waiver - signed and completed by them
- print their physical address including zip code and their phone# (as entered at time of registration) on the back of the form
- print YOUR name and phone number on the back and your Race # if you are also a participant. Be prepared to show your license for verification purposes of who has taken the packet.
- Wednesday, November 2nd from 4-9pm a Bike World 1604
- **** ROLL OUT PARTY **** and Optional Packet Pickup
- Hosted at San Antonio BIKE WORLD 1604 map
- Snacks and Spirits!!
- BIKE WORLD EXTENDS A 20% DISCOUNT TO ALL TOUR DE GRUENE PARTICIPANTS DURING THE PARTY. MUST HAVE PACKET IN HAND FOR VERIFICATION *** INCLUDING NEW BIKES!!!!
- Park in the shopping center just prior to Bike World and walk over
- Parking on the access road may result in being towed
- Bonus!!—First 50 people to show up at Bike World wearing any previous year Tour de Gruene shirt—will get a free small 2016 poster!
- Bring your completed Form/Waiver to speed your processing
No Packet Pickups on Thursday or Friday
- Wurstfest has free admittance on Opening Friday, 11-4 until 7 pm
- Saturday, November 5th at Lazy L & L Campground
- Lazy L & L Pavilion (Directions)
- 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. (During last hour of TOURS packet pickup)
- 1:00 pm thru last ITT start time
- Bring your completed Form/Waiver to speed your processing!
Placement of race numbers
- Pin your bib number on your lower center back over your jersey pockets (or lower center back on your skinsuit… where your shorts meet your saddle)
- You MUST wear the race number sticker provided on the front center of your helmet
- If a bike number is provided, you MUST turn these in as they will be used the following day for the TTT as well.
- View the ITT route here (link)
- Collector Commemorative posters are composed each year by RC-CO
Commemorative posters are available in limited supply at packet pickup
- $10 current year, $5 previous year
- CASH only (no checks or plastic)
- Remaining posters from previous years will be available for purchase
- Posters cannot be mailed or purchased online
Lodging: Camp with us at our host site - the Lazy L & L Campground
- Lazy L&L Campground, host site of Tour de Gruene
- Join the Party!
- Overnight Tent and RV spaces available
- Call 830-964-3455 for Lazy L & L campsite or RV reservation information
New Braunfels Outdoor Adventures:
- Rent a camper from NBOA and they will set it up for you at the Lazy L&L campsite you reserve
- Campers sleep 6-8 people so join with others to share the costs
- Enjoy the convenience of being "on site" throughout the event weekend
- Requires a 2-night stay. Come in on Friday night, Tour on Saturday and Wurstfest Sat. night!
- Call 210-834-9787 for camper rental information
- Mention Tour de Gruene and receive 20% off of current rates!
Summit Resort -1 mile from event Villas, Cabins and more
- ALL SUMMIT RESORT CABINS/VILLAS ARE FULL.
- There are campsites and RV slots still available.
- Event Special: 10% off
- Call (830) 964-2531 for reservation information http://www.summitresorttexas.com
Other Area Lodging
- Link to pdf of cabins/lodges by proximity to Lazy L & L
- Link to same doc in excel format for ease in navigating
- New Braunfels C of C Listings
- Interactive Map Listings:
To facilitate traffic flow and parking procedures all vehicles are requested to enter Lazy L&L from the north (Sattler). You may be arriving as the tours are finishing. Give yourself extra time to allow for possible traffic delays
- ENTER TOUR DE GRUENE FROM THE NORTH IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Links above provide those directions
- Parking is included in your entry
- Driving into other areas of Lazy L & L is not permitted without a camp reservation.
- The tour may be ending as you arrive. Allow extra time for traffic
Lunch and non-alcoholic drink ticket is included with your registration
- Your meal ticket is a tear-off tab on the bottom of your ride number
- If a meatless option is desired, you may indicate so during your online registration
- Additional meal tickets for family members MUST be purchased through online process
- You can go back into your active account and ADD meals later by going to https://myevents.active.com/
Lazy L & L sells wine and beer in addition to other food product in their store and at the Pavilion
- They accept all major credit cards except American Express.
- No checks.
- Bring the proper ID
- Enjoy music, dancing, carnival rides, games, food, adult beverages, and the finest in Alpine and Bavarian Style Entertainment
- Use your ticket included in your entry for free admittance ($10 value)
At all times when mounted on a bicycle you must wear a securely fastened helmet that meets either the US DOT helmet standards or one of the following standards:
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard Z90.4
- Snell Memorial Foundation Standard “B” or “N” serie
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard F-1447
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA) standard CAN/CSA-D113.2-M
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
Photography by RxDesign http://www.RxDesign.com
- RxDesign will upload photographs in the week following the event
- Pictures from previous Tour de Gruene years can also be found on his website
- Contact RxDesign with any questions about your event photography
- Rain or shine, the Tour de Gruene will go on as long as there is no storm activity. Weather could cause a delay or course alterations
- Information about delays or cancellations will be texted to the number you provided during registration
- To add a phone text "tourdegruene" to 781-728-9542, then send a 2nd text that reads " Join itt "
- There will be no refunds for cancellations
What if I need to adjust my mph estimate?
- It is imperative that your mph estimate be accurate for hosting a safe event
- Change your mph by going back into your account: https://myevents.active.com
- Once registration has closed, no more edits can be made
- Registration closes October 26th at 8 pm
What if I find I am unable to ride after I register?
- You may TRANSFER your registration to someone else BEFORE online registration closes
- Registration will close October 26th at 8 pm
- There are no refunds but informing us will allow us to remove your name from the announcer script so they do not read out your information during your assigned start time
- You can cancel your participation and still pick up your shirt and Wurstfest ticket
- Write to firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions
May I change shirt size after I register online?
- Shirt change requests must be emailed by October 12th to:
- SWAP tables at packet-pickup will allow shirt color/size swaps as available
Can I purchase additional shirts?
- Additional shirts may be purchased at the Lazy L&L if shirts remain
- Shirts from previous years (as available) may be purchased at reduced prices (cash only-no checks/plastic)
Can my packet, shirt and/or Wurstfest ticket be mailed?
- We do not mail items to entrants
Have someone pick up your packet for you
- See instructions in Packet Pickup section above
- Please note that you may enter Wurstfest free on opening night Friday, November 4th until 7pm
- You can order additional tickets for family members at the Wurstfest website.
Will there be an ATM on site?
- No ATM is on site, however, one is located at the Valero station 3 miles north of the start/finish
- Map from TdG to Valero Station in Sattler
Are there showers on site?
Yes. There are 4 different bath houses which require a token (we provide)
- Shower tokens are available on event day from poster table
- location of showers: http://www.lazylandl.com/pdf/camp_map.pdf
What is Historic Gruene?
Gruene is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and many of the buildings that were rescued have been awarded a Texas medallion from the Texas Historical Commission. It is recognized by the Texas travel industry as a premiere attraction for visitors.
- The main focus of Gruene is bona fide Texas. Everything from the wares they sell to the music they play speaks to providing its guests with an experience that has the signature seal of the Lone Star State.
- Gruene is about a 20 minute drive from Tour de Gruene
- Map from TdG to Gruene by way of Hwy 306 (faster than taking River Road)
Is Tour de Gruene going ‘Green’?
- Tour de Gruene has always worked “Towards Zero Waste (TZW)”. Reducing the amount of items that end up in recycling and compost along with (and especially) the landfill is our goal. Re-using items as many times as possible before they are discarded is great too.
- The owners of Lazy L & L property take extreme pride in keeping their property looking the way nature intended – trash free! Please help us to demonstrate to the Lazy L & L staff that the cyclist community respects the environment in which they ride and is pro-active when it comes to recycling or disposing of trash properly
- Place your empty brown packet envelope into the recycling bin as you exit the pavilion and we will recycle again next year!
——Need a little motivation?? Watch these videos!——
“LIKE” us on Facebook www.facebook.com/TourdeGruene
To get our “TWEETS ” twitter.com/Tourdegruene
Pictures from Tour de Gruene events may be found at www.RxDesign.com
Ride for the Sally M. Kingsbury Cancer Research Foundation
Sally Kingsbury was a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, sister, teacher, friend and pillar of the New Braunfels community who lost her life to Sarcoma. Friends and family started the foundation with a mission to fund research facilities dedicated to finding acure for sarcoma